Sunday, February 20, 2011

Book Review: A Thousand Splendid Suns


A Thousand Splendid Suns is the second book by Kite Runner author, Khaled Hosseini. This book focuses on two women whose lives intertwine in Afghanistan.

The first woman, Mariam, lives with her single mother and has a father who refuses to accept her as a daughter since she was born out of wedlock. After trying so hard to get her father to accept her & trying to live with him, she is married off at the age of 14.

Laila is a young woman who has a loving family and access to an education. Her family is ripped apart due to war in Afghanistan. After Mariam & her husband take Laila in, they must survive the man they live with and the war that is raging in their own country. They must face the Taliban, hunger, and abuse.

This story started out slow for me and I was bored by Mariam's side of the story. The book definitely picks up in the second half of the book. The women endure a LOT in this book and some parts were hard for me to read - specifically, if they were getting physically abused/beat up. The violence shouldn't seem that crazy to me since I have been reading books about Concentration Camp but I think this book gave too much detail.

While I thought The Kite Runner was an awesome book, this one was a clear 2nd place. What I love about both books is how this is a historical fiction book and puts the political unrest in Afghanistan in perspective.

No comments: