Saturday, February 20, 2010

Ashland, KY


Hi Everyone - I am back in SF. It was a long 3 days of travel and work. It was actually pretty fun though. We went to visit two non-profits who received grants!

The first non-profit we visited was For Jamie's Sake. This is a great organization. Their mission is to:

To raise awareness and diligently recruit new foster and adoptive families.

To normalize adoption as a means of creating a family.

They were SO excited to see us. The Director was so grateful and excited to receive the grant. Lots of volunteers and foster kids were there, too. We were able to get a tour of the facility and meet the kids. When a child goes into foster care, Jamie's Sake provides them with a suitcase, outfits, toiletries, etc. This allows the child to have some stuff of their 'own'. The thing that impressed me most is that no one, not even the Founder, gets a salary. They operate purely on donations.

One thing that really hit me was when the Founder said, 'Most of us can't imagine not having our family, and these kids can't imagine having one'. I also thought about how much stuff I give to Goodwill and much better it would serve to give my clothes to an organization like this.

The local newspaper showed up AND the local news. I was very surprised when they wanted to interview me. Oh yes - I was probably on the local news in KY saying how excited we were to give them this grant. Overall, it was a great experience at this non-profit.

After this, we drove FIVE hours to Cleveland, OH. Glee, Broadway soundtracks, and Ipods got us through...


No comments: