Sunday, July 12, 2009

Dog Food

I went to Petco today to get Evie's food and learned that Petco is no longer going to carry it. She eats Pet Promise. I started feeding this to her over 2 years ago & liked it because it has no animal by products in it, no rendered meats, no artificial stuff. Now, I have to get something else.

I was comparing the ingredients from Pet Promise to other bags at the store. Iams, Eukanuba, Sciene Diet are all horrible to give your dog. They all start off with 'Chicken Meal' or some sort of 'meat-meal' which is gross. I actually don't think Purina is a good food either but I saw Purina Pro-Plan which has very similar ingredients to Pet Promise.

So, I came home & checked it out online. Not recommended. Then, I checked Pet Promise, and the site didn't recommend that either. Something about Soy and corn being in the food. Great. I might go to a specialty store and see if I can get this Canidae that I've heard so much about. It is -

All Natural Holistic Benefits
High Quality Chicken Meal as the Main Protein Source
All Natural, Human Grade, Holistic Pet Food
Natural Ingredients Plus Essential Vitamins & Amino Acid Chelated Minerals
Naturally Preserved Herbal Formulation
Excellent Palatability - Dogs Love CANIDAE®!
Contains Skin & Coat Conditioners to Maintain a Health Luxurious Coat
Balanced Omega 6 & 3 Fatty Acids
Wholesome Nutritional Brown Rice & Diversified Carbohydrates
Superior Digestibility
Guaranteed Viable Micro-Organisms
Guaranteed Enzyme Activity to Help Break Down Cellulose
Made the CANIDAE® Way with Superior Quality: No Corn, Wheat, Soy, Grain Fractions or Fillers and Naturally Preserved

2 comments:

Betsy said...

I have been using Felidae with Geno from the start. I went to this pet store and asked if they had Purina (since the SPCA gives you a coupon for a free bag) and the employee looked alarmed (lol how Bay Area). Apparently most of the name brand pet food is primarily corn, which is not good for your pet. Anything "--- Meal" is corn and soy. And the first 4 ingredients listed in pet food comprise 75% of the actual food.

I definitely got suckered in to buying it but our cat loves the food, and according to Greg, he thinks that's why Geno has a beautiful coat and never coughs up any hairballs. Our vet was pleased to hear that we feed him Felidae. The only thing that stinks is I can only find it in a few pet stores in the city and I think it's a little pricier than the average food. But it seems to be worth it!

Heather M said...

Yeah I think Purina is a crappy brand, in general. I was surprised and skeptical to get their Pro Plan but when the ingredients are so close to her other food, I thought to get it. But, then really, maybe her other food wasn't that great. But then really squared, she has a sensitive stomach and gets diarrhea like no bodys business so do I feed her a lesser quality food that keeps her stomach OK? I will see if she can keep the canidae down but i sort of doubt it. ANything that is too pure is a problem - pure chicken treats, mostly salmon food, etc.....Also the price is not a factor. I will do anything for my baby boo boo!! :-)