Wednesday, September 28, 2011

4 Alarm Fire

Yesterday, there was a fire in an apartment building just a few streets away from us. I got off the bus from work and saw the helicopters which means something newsworthy is going on. A quick google search told me that the building caught fire at 4pm and they were still dealing with the aftermath at 6pm. I walked Evie for awhile & then dropped her at home so I could go for a run. I went out and finished my run near the fire so I could see what happened. I was so shocked, I literally said "Holy S&*T" outloud. The fire was out but the house was charred & there were onlookers on the sidewalk watching everything.


The smoke from afar

The apartment building up close.

It really is so sad to see a fire and know that someone lost their home. Although we have renter's insurance, I started thinking about what we would do if this happened to us. Would we stay in a hotel? Do we have any friends that could accommodate all 3 of us? Can we afford to hurry up and rent a new place ASAP? Just because you have renters insurance doesn't mean you are all set. It could take weeks to get that insurance money to replenish everything. It's also a reminder that material things really cannot matter that much to you. They could be gone in an instant.

No comments: