Monday, June 13, 2011

Volunteer Reception

On Sunday, I went to a Volunteer Appreciation Reception. I volunteer for Bingo through the Jewish Family & Children Services of SF. However, I am not Jewish. I just found the opportunity through a neighborhood newsletter and it happens to be put on by this organization. I don't really think much of it even though the ladies I call Bingo for are all Russian & Jewish. However, yesterday, I realized that maybe most of the volunteers are Jewish, too.

I was sitting at a table with other volunteers who deliver food on the holidays. I asked which ones and they said, "Oh the major ones" which I sort of blanked on besides Hanukkah. Also, there was a Holocaust Survivor at my table!! I sat down as he was finishing his story & I heard him say "...and we hid during the war." Can you believe it!! I wish I had the time to talk to him before the presentations started.

Anyway, it was a very nice reception with food and drinks. There were a lot of awards given to volunteers who have been giving their time for 5 or more years. There was even someone who has been volunteering for 35 years - that is dedication!

No comments: