Sunday, March 25, 2012

Alfjaor Delight

Well this weekend has been pretty chill. On Friday, we made pizza and had some Edmeades wine. We got our first wine club shipment and the wine is awesome! Erik started his beer brewing process on Friday night while I watched some TV. I literally was asleep on the couch with Evie at 9pm. What a wild night!

On Saturday, we awoke to rain and it rained allll day. I went to a new place (The Cutlery), recommended by a friend, to get a hair cut. I have been salon hopping since I moved here and I am going to stick with one place now.

After my hair cut, I came home and vegged with Evie while Erik went surfing.

On Saturday night, we went up north to Sausalito to my friend Lisa's house. Lisa is due with her first baby in April so this was their "last party" before the baby comes. I had met some of her other friends at her baby shower and our friend Sarah was there so it was a fun time!

We left around 9:30 and were hungry so we went to a restaurant near our house, Nopa. Nopa is talked about as one of the best restaurants in SF and it is always packed. So random that on  a late, rainy, Saturday night, we finally ended up there for our first visit!

We weren't that hungry to order entrees so we each ordered the chicken soup. Then, we split the fries and the asparagus salad. We were completely disappointed.

Nothing tasted that great and we realized, this is one of those places that is hyped up and doesn't deliver. I think I might be a little harsh in saying that because we didn't have entrees to judge. I also heard the burger is amazing but I don't eat beef to ever try that one. BUT, I have been to restaurants where even if you just have the appetizers, they are delish. Our server also wasn't that nice or talkative. It was like she was pissed she was working on a Saturday night.

And, just for what we had - it was pricey.



The redeeming factor of Nopa, was the dessert. We had the cookie platter with homemade almond milk. I am not a dessert person but there was one cookie that had me smitten - the powdered sugar cookie on the plate, The Alfajor. OMG. So delish. It is also called a Dulce De Leche cookie

Probably would not go back unless I had a friend who loved this place and convinced me to try something else.  I will be on the hunt for Alfajors and/or make them myself!

Despite the rain and the not so great experience at Nopa, we had a great day. It was great to see friends and try a new place together.

No comments: