Tuesday, April 28, 2009

You aren't going to believe this

Evie got bit again. I have had her for 2 years without any bites and now 2 in 3 weeks.

Who: This female dog named Bella who is 3x the size of Evie. She looks like an overweight Pit/Mastiff type dog.

Where: The same park we go to multiple times per day where the Biting Dog bit her

What: Bella is a big dog & is always on her Gentle Leader. She is on a short leash and can't play really. We see them probably once per week. Her and Evie kind of bounce back and forth and that's it. Bella wasn't on her leader today.

How: Today, they were bouncing around like usual. Suddenly, Bella has grabbed onto the back of Evie's neck. Thankfully, Evie has a ton of extra skin and she only had the skin. Bella would. not. let. go. It was one of the scariest things I have ever been involved in. The owner of Bella was grabbing her and pleading with her. I was holding Evie and trying to keep her from turning her head into Bella. I started screaming - Help us. Please help us. Somehow, He got Bella off. He is lucky he did not get bit by his own dog.

I was shaking and my finger was bleeding(i think from her collar and how I was holding her). This woman had come over and asked if I was Ok. He had Bella laying on the ground. Evie was hopping on me like 'Pick Me Up'. Once we all calmed down, we left & went right to the Vet. THIS time, the owner gave me his business card to let him know what happens.

Vet: Evie gets ANOTHER patch of hair shaved. She has 2 bite holes. Thankfully, they flushed them out and gave us antibiotics. She didn't need the drain. Now, we watch her and make sure she is OK and everything is not infected.

I don't get it. I really really don't. Over the past 2 years, Evie has gotten better. She is calmer around other dogs. Backs off when they are too crazy or shy. Is s a better behaved dog. And, now that she is better behaved, she gets attacked TWICE. Now, I am worried she will start to hate dogs or be really scared to be around them. We'll see.....Of course, I am like rethinking everything like - what did I do wrong? How could I let this happen again? How do I prevent this?

Tomorrow, this claim goes to Pet Insurance.

3 comments:

Kittie Flyn said...

Oh gosh, I am so sorry to hear that! That's rough. I hope she's doing ok (and you too)!

Sarah said...

Poor Evie!!

Heather M said...

Thank you for your concern!!