Thursday, April 21, 2011

More running...

As I start to get back in to the running game, some things come to mind. One is that I am really glad that I joined Team In Training a few years back and trained with coaches. I learned a lot and also have the experience of running increased mileage over months of time. I know what it takes, what it feels like, etc. I also learned a lot about nutrition, hydration, when to eat gu, when to drink Gatorade, etc.

I also realized, back then, that I have very tight hips & hamstrings. This causes me to be super stiff and achy after I run. So, after going through that while training, I get what it takes to be a runner. Running, to me, is half the battle. It really takes a holistic approach to be a runner - stretching, cross training, core/ab work, etc. Running the actual mileage is only a piece of the pie.

Also, I sort of wonder if 5K is the best race length for me. I am a believer in that the first mile is always the worst - no matter what! So with a 5K, you finally find your rhythm around 1.5 miles and then the race is over in 1.5 miles. I am really going to try to do a 10K in June. That is 6.2 miles and a little longer to find your pace, and adjust, and push yourself.

I think 5Ks are great for right now to get back into the swing of things, get used to doing all of this regularly, the feel of a race, etc. I really feel that being on a regular schedule, running races consistently, is a way to lifelong fitness. I remember seeing an 80 yr old on the courses when we ran back in CT. If you can find a groove & what works for you, you're on your way!

I just got new sneakers. Woohoo!

3 comments:

Taralyn said...

Yay for getting back into running. I'm doing Broad Street next Sunday (10 miles!) for the 4th year and have already signed up for my 2nd half marathon in November. I agree with the first mile being sucky, so I appreciate longer races myself.

And those are the shoes I have! Well I just got a new pair, but those were my last year shoes, but I've been wearing the same style for years.

Heather M said...

Yeah they are the Asics 2150 and I buy them every year too. I usually buy last years model when the new ones come out bc they are on sale. ha

I was looking for a 10mile race and I really cant find any out here. I will keep looking.

What half are you doing?

Taralyn said...

Philadelphia Half Marathon. I pretty much do the same races over and over again (this was my first half last year). I was sick though, so I'm hoping to go into it healthier and kick some butt!

Maybe I can come out to California and do a race with you!