Sunday, May 3, 2009

I feel comfortable using legal jargon in everyday life.


Well, after I found out about the CA law regarding dog bites & the fact that we have strict liability here, I decided I was going to get that owner to pay up for Bite #1. I have seen the woman with the dog in the park only 2xs after the bite. I was determined to find her.

I have been wearing my fanny pack full of pens, paper, my phone, and the non-emergency police phone # in my contact list. I was prepared to confront this woman, ask her to pay the bill or threaten legal action. I was nervous but ready. I spoke to my college roomate who is a lawyer and got her advice. We had the script prepared. I was ready.

Saturday, before we left for lunch, I took Evie out for a 'quick walk'. Then, I saw the woman. Time for the showdown. I will give you the quick overview.

What happened with the woman:
  • Saw her & asked her to pay the bill
  • She started yelling how 'this is ridiculous', 'they were playing'
  • Was with a guy & told me he is the owner
  • Kept yelling this is ridiculous then...yelled at me 'I HATE YOU', told me I was mean and walked away
What happened with the guy:
  • Told him the sitch
  • He told me that they were playing and this is what happens when dogs play
  • I stated the law to him
  • I gave him an option to pay or take legal action
  • He said, 'go ahead take me to court'
Now, I am going to give him one more chance to pay. If he doesn't, we are going to small claims court. It costs me $30 to file the claim. This is the LAW. He doesn't have an option of not paying.

Oh and the picture of Elle Woods in court - that is me in civil court. hahaha. Bend and snap.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Good for you! I cannot beleive the owners reaction. When dogs play they do not BITE to the point that one dog has to get emergency care. I would get a statement from the vet too.