Friday, January 15, 2010

Book Review: Cleaving


Just finished Cleaving by Julie Powell. This is the author's second book after writing "Julie & Julia". J&J was cute, fun, and light hearted. Cleaving is not. Now J&J was written back in 2005 so Cleaving takes place after that. In Cleaving, Julie wants to learn how to be a butcher. She becomes a butcher apprentice for six months. This book is also about her strange marriage and how she cheats on her husband for almost 2 years. So she cheats on him, becomes a butcher, tries to go back to him and ends up traveling alone for another six months.

The Butchery description of this book is DISGUSTING. I skipped over so much of it. I do not eat cows, pigs, or lambs so of course I am not reading that. I also do not want to read about someone cheating on their husband. The only part I liked of this book was reading about her travels. It made me want to go to Africa.

If you want to learn about butchery, I recommend this book. If you don't care to learn about chopping up animals, or reading about cheating on your husband, stay away. Overall, I do not recommend this book. Read J&J and see the movie instead.

No comments: