Sunday, January 10, 2010

Groceries!

I spend So much money on groceries and I cannot figure out how to get the bill down. I spend $60-$80 a week for MYSELF on groceries. Don't you think that is a little high? I don't eat a lot of frozen or processed food so I don't find a lot of coupons out there. The Safeway card saves me a lot but is there anything else I can do? Here is what I got for $80 today. Do you guys think that this is a lot of money for what I got or that I am spending a ton? Or do you think this is reasonable for what I got?

1 package of chicken breasts
2 packs of ground turkey
2 bags of lettuce(Buy one get one free!)
5 boxes of oatmeal (Buy 2, get 3 free - I saved $15!)
5 fresh pears
1 box of pasta
1 can of tomato sauce
1 bag of croutons
1 cucumber
1 container of little tomatos
1 half-gallon of milk
1 box of brown rice
2 bags of frozen veggies
1 frozen pizza
1 toothpaste
1 cleaning spray
1 bunch of bananas
1 can of black beans
1 jar of strawberry jam

3 comments:

KMV said...

5 boxes of oatmeal (Buy 2, get 3 free - I saved $15!) -> this is something Debbie Mead does!

Krissy said...

Hey - I have become the coupon lady over the past year so I wanted to comment here. I think your grocery bill is standard for eating as healthy as you do but if you buy things in advance that you use for stock items when they are on sale & with a coupon you will make out there. We spend $75-90 a week for us but I am also really good w/coupons.

When I don't save 40% off my bill after checking out that is a bad week for me. I am on top of the flyers & coupons and doubling when I can.

I have been able to cut my grocery bill by at least 30% a month by buying what is on sale for meat and planning my recipes for the next 2 weeks around what I see in the flyer that is a good deal.

With regards to the meats you like to purchase chicken/turkey,etc. buy it on sale & buy enough for a month or more. For example, I freeze chicken in bags that are precut for stir fry or I thin cut them, or cut into tenders,etc..saves time down the road.

Good luck!

Taralyn said...

Try buying rice and oats (and whatever else you like in the bins) from the bulk foods aisle. It's my new favorite place to shop. I eat 1/2 cup oats almost every day for breakfast and I spend maybe $2 every 2 weeks on buying it from the bulk bins (at Whole Foods, no less). Every little thing helps.