Friday, September 5, 2008

Question of the Day

Question of the Day: What is Royal Jelly?

Have you seen that Loreal has come out with Vive Pro with Royal Jelly shampoo & conditoner? What is Royal Jelly? Well, I will tell you:


Royal jelly is a honey bee secretion that is used in the nutrition of the larvae. It is secreted from the hypopharyngeal glands in the heads of young workers and used (among other substances) to feed all of the larvae in the colony, including those destined to become workers.

Royal jelly is produced by stimulating colonies with movable frame hives to produce queen bees. Royal jelly is collected from each individual queen cell when the queen larvae are about four days old.
Royal jelly has been reported as a possible immunomodulatory agent in Graves' disease. It has also been reported to stimulate the growth of glial cells and neural stem cells in the brain.



My thoughts: -Does getting royal jelly out of the hive harm the bees? -If it does, then companies shouldn't be able to put this jelly in anything since bees are going extinct

If you know anything about Royal Jelly, post it in the comments!

1 comment:

Moonlady said...

I've heard of this --- if what you say is the case, then people should not buy these products. No market, no product.
I've heard a teaspoon of regular honey every day is good for allergies. Erik left a supply, so I've been using a teaspoon every day in my coffee. My allergies are not gone, but are better - my eyes don't water as much and I'm not as stuffy and sniffly(I hate this- I annoy myself)). I have cut way back on meds and almost never take painkillers anymore since I hardly ever get headaches now. But who knows, could be all in my mind.