Monday, July 2, 2012

The U.S. Gymnastics Olympic Trials

When I was younger, I was obsessed with women's gymnastics. OBSESSED. I would tape competitions on TV and try to learn the routines. I knew every gymnast, her coach's name, her floor music, her achievements, her flaws, etc. I loooooved Shannon Miller and Dominique Dawes. When the "Magnificent 7" competed in the Atlanta 1996 Gymnastics, I was literally glued to the TV for the week.
Anyway, I loved and still love gymnastics. So, when the Olympic Trials were coming to San Jose, I knew I had to be there. Yesterday, Betsy, Sarah, Cristin, and I went down to the HP Pavillion to see the trials and it was AWESOME.

To start the evening off right, as we were walking to our seats, I saw someone. I thought, could it be her? And yes, it was her - DOMINIQUE DAWES. She was so awesome to take a photo with us. I  was soooo excited!


Me, DOMINIQUE, Cristin
After seeing Dominique, we headed inside to watch the meet. We saw all of the contenders - Jordyn Weiber, Aly Raisman, Mikayla Maroney, Nastia Liukin, Alicia Sacramone.....it was awesome.
Jordyn on Bars
Alicia on Beam
Shawn Johns and MARY LOU Retton!
The one & only - Bela Karolyi, in the tan jacket
More Alicia
What an event. We had so much fun and it was SO EXCITING to be there, see the gymnastics, and of course, get a photo with Dom Dawes. I can die happy now :-)

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Woah woah woah.... So I just read your comment on my post about Radish in SF and checked out your blog, liked it, added it to my Google Reader, saw your 2012 review post, and WHAT?! you know Cristin? So do I! (via her roommate Molly who is one of my boyfriend's best friends from college). Crazy. Also, so neat that you went to the Gymnastics trials!
-Lauren

Unknown said...

This is too funny. Cristin and I worked together in SF back in about 2008. She and I are close friends even though she moved out of SF awhile ago. I know Molly too. So funny & smallll world!