Saturday, July 10, 2010

Book Review: Empire Falls


I finally finished, Empire Falls by Richard Russo. It is centered in a small town in Maine and Miles Roby is the main character. Miles runs a local diner, Empire Grill. He is in the process of getting divorced and has a daughter, Tick. We soon find out that there is a powerful family in town that he is connected to in a weird way & that the matriarch of the family owns the diner he works for. His ex-wife is intending to marry one of his regular diner customers. He dreams of leaving ME and moving to Martha's Vineyard but Miles Roby is a responsible guy with deep ties to his little town in Maine.

This book has a lot of characters that are all intertwined. Some relationships are explored thru the book that I felt never had any meaning to the rest of the story. Or, other characters were talked about thru the book that didn't really contribute much to the book.

This book took me a long time to read(mostly bc I gave up my bus ride reading time) but also because it was nearly 500pgs and just not that riveting. There is a TV movie that was made that I am going to rent & see how that is.

This book was OK but I wouldn't really recommend it. I didn't see it as an exciting Pulitzer Prize winner.

No comments: