Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Color Purple


I just finished the book, The Color Purple by Alice Walker. I never had to read this book in school and wanted to read it because I have heard so much about it.

The book is written as a series of letters from the main character, Celie, to God. Then, they become letters to & from her sister, Nettie. Celie & Nettie are separated at a young age but write to one another. The book is set in rural Georgia in the 1930's.

The book started off explaining the abuse that Celie experienced from her step father & the children that resulted from that experience. The first third of the book reminded me of the movie, Precious. I really don't like books/movies like that because honestly, it shows me how bad the world is.

However, once the letters start between the sisters, I started to enjoy the book more. It really is a wonderful story about overcoming tragedy & finding out who you are and what you stand for. I really liked the story between the two sisters. Although they were separated for many, many years, they always knew ea other was alive & could feel the others presence despite not talking.

I definitely recommend this book not only because it is a classic but because the story behind it is one of hope & overcoming obstacles.

No comments: