Yesterday was warm & sunny. I went down to work at the gymnastics gym for a few hrs & Erik brewed beer. Brewing beer is cool but it STINKS. Honestly, the apartment smells like either a bar or stinky feet for hours. Gross!
We had dinner together & I tried another new recipe from Fitness Magazine.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
3 teaspoons salt
8 ounces whole wheat fusilli
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 slender zucchini, halved lengthwise, sliced into 1/4-inch thick pieces
5 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 lemon, rind peeled in strips
Small pinch red pepper flakes
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
5 large basil leaves, sliced
1/4 cup grated Parmesan (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of water with 2 teaspoons of the salt to a boil; add the fusilli. Cook until al dente.
2. Warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the zucchini, scallions, pine nuts, lemon peel, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt; cook, tossing frequently, until zucchini is well browned and tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Use a slotted spoon to transfer zucchini to a serving bowl. Remove lemon peel from pan. Mince 1/2 teaspoon of the peel and discard the rest. Squeeze half the lemon over the zucchini.
4. Turn heat to medium-high and swirl in remaining olive oil. Add the chicken, minced lemon peel, and remaining salt; cook, stirring, until golden, about 7 minutes.
5. Drain fusilli, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water. Add fusilli, zucchini, and reserved cooking water to skillet. Cook 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and top with the basil and, if using, Parmesan.
Nutrition facts per serving: 426 calories, 32g protein, 49g carbohydrate, 14g fat (2.2g saturated), 6g fiber
In other news, I think we are still learning what the AM schedule is going to be. I was getting up at 6am last week to walk Evie & run. Evie hates getting up in the morning. Plus, it is pitch black out at 6am so I might adjust the schedule so that she goes out at 630 and I can run in sunlight at 7am. We'll see.
Erik is also surfing at 6am so we have the house to ourselves in the AM so we can make up whatever schedule we want. I think this week I will try the 630 walk for Evie. Also, still trying to get a phone call with the potential dog walker. We keep missing each other. Otherwise, we are all doing great on the new schedule!
Finally - I watched GLEE last night, finally. I thought it was a very political episode and really haven't seen one show discuss gay & religion in one episode. I thought that was pretty bold of them esp when Kurt said he doesn't go to church bc the church doesnt like gays. There is still something very off with Rachel this season. It's like she's lost her innocence or something. Im not a huge Gleek this season but they still have a bunch more episodes to go to change my mind.