Friday, March 8, 2013

A New Chicken Soup

Yum. We had another delicious dinner last night - Italian Turkey Soup (but we used chicken).
Italian Turkey Soup
Photo
After work yesterday, Evie and I went to Whole Foods to check it out. I never shop Whole Foods but I wanted to check out their meat & fish selection, now that we don't have Falletti's. We used to buy a lot of meat & fish at Falletti's because we knew it was fresh. We literally saw when the trucks made deliveries! We also found out that Whole Foods sells our FAVORITE milk products, Clover. This milk tastes amazing - It's organic but just has a creamy taste to it which is so good.

I went to Whole Foods and saw the salad bar, hot bar, cheese area, bread offerings....I thought, Oh I found our Falletti's here! When I saw the Clover on the shelf, I just about yelped with excitement. The little things. I went there for chicken for the soup and left with a bag full of stuff. Oh well, that is what Whole Foods is all about right - "whole paycheck."

Anyway, I got home and started cooking. First, I had to chop some onions. Bahahha. I tried to wear my swimming goggles since my eyes ALWAYS tear up. It totally worked! No crying. I just look like a complete crazy person. 

I also noted that our chicken was a Grade 3 on the humane scale which means the chicken had "advanced room to roam" or something of that nature. We were laughing because it reminded us of that skit from Portlandia where the couple asks about the chicken at the restaurant, "Does he have friends?"

Here is the soup we had:

Author: 
Recipe type: soup
Serves: 6
A delicious and easy way to use up your leftover turkey!
Ingredients
  • ½ box pasta, I used Ditalini or a short macaroni type pasta
  • 2 C shredded turkey or chicken
  • 4 C chicken broth
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • ½ onion, chopped
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 1 whole jalapeno, seeded and diced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 2 15 oz. cans petite cut tomatoes
  • 1 can water
  • 1 C heavy cream
  • 1 tsp dry oregano
  • 1 tsp dry basil
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Cook pasta according to directions. Be sure and cook it al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
  2. In a frying pan add olive oil, onion, celery, green pepper, jalapeno and saute until tender.
  3. In a large soup pot combine chicken broth, water, shredded turkey or chicken, tomatoes with their juice and sauteed vegetables.
  4. Add in herbs. Salt and pepper to taste
  5. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
  6. Add in pasta and cream.

We also got our quarterly wine shipment from Edmeades so we had some Zinfandel last night. 

TGIF!

No comments: