Monday, March 4, 2013

Sweet & Sour Monday

 So this thing is currently scaring Evie. It's a rack that Erik can dress with his hockey stuff to air it out. This has been living in his friends garage for five years but now it's in our house. A)It reeks like no other. I think hockey smell is something so pungent but unique in scent. B)Evie saw it, creeped up to it, and barked! haha. She didn't know what it was.

It's currently in "Erik's room" airing out with the door shut. Peuwey!

Tonight I made a yummy dinner we both enjoyed - Sweet & Sour Chicken. I've made a version of this in the past but had to coat & fry the chicken, which I did not do with this recipe. In this recipe, I also replaced the pork with chicken.



INGREDIENTS


 Print This Recipe

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. In a large skillet, brown pork steak in shortening. Sprinkle with paprika. Brown well. Cover and cook about 20-25 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
  2. In a medium bowl combine brown sugar, corn starch and salt. Gradually add reserved pineapple liquid, vinegar, water, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Blend until smooth. Gradually stir in meat.
  3. Cook over low heat until thick, stirring constantly. Stir in green pepper and pineapple. Cover and simmer over low heat for 6-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
  4. Serve over hot cooked rice.
 Thanks to Safeway's 30% off wine sale, I got to have a glass of the best Chardonnay that ever lived!


In other news, it was back to being "cold" here today--Gray and in the upper 50's. It is supposed to rain this week, which is good because I read that we are in the worst drought on record! So crazy!!

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Hahaha! I don't miss that stand at all. True story - when it was first put in our garage I didn't know about it and got FREAKED out when I pulled in at night!!

Unknown said...

Oh I can imagine!! Erik set it up outside & then brought it in the house. I walked past the room with this thing set up and got scared. haha.